Friday, October 21, 2011

The Pro-Life Lobby, Isn't

    "We Vote Pro-Life" proclaimed the bumper sticker on the white Lincoln Town Car in front of me. The vehicle had seen better days and I was certain its vintage was such that those days likely took place during the first Bush administration. The sticker was significantly newer. The sentiment of one-issue voting was very old indeed.
    I frequently wonder, when I see this particular sticker, where the line of Pro-Life is drawn. I know the intent behind it is to protect the unborn. I respect that desire and even share it. I also observe that the very political advocates of seeing the unborn become the born, are those who stop caring once an embryo becomes a child. They are the same political block that would deny us universal healthcare, public education, after school programs, social security and even the small solace of end-of-life planning. To an ironic degree, the political wing that most supports pro-life sentiments is also a rabid fan of the death penalty, believing it should be applied both for murder cases and having a lack of health insurance.
    At a Republican debate late in 2011 Texas Governor Rick Perry was roundly applauded for his record of 235 executions on his watch over three terms. One person in Texas was put to death once every 2 and a half weeks. At the following debate the crowd was eagerly shouting "Let him die!" when a question arose about an uninsured individual. I suspect that if the question of reproductive rights had come up the phrase "Let him die" wouldn't have been part of the repertoire.
    In the news we bore witness to the down-to-the-wire drama of Troy Davis' execution. I browsed a half dozen pro-life web sites to see what their reaction to this questionable act would be. I admit to not being surprised that none of them even mentioned saving a potentially innocent man's life. On the right-wing, Ann Coulter's Twitter statement on the matter was "ONE TROY DAVIS FLAME BROILED PLEASE." The all-caps are hers. The disgust should be universal.
    At the heart of the pro-life movement lies the issue of abortion and by extension, reproductive rights. I strongly considered writing to Operation Rescue, the Army of God and other groups to learn their side of this battle. Thankfully, the entities I would contact have made their views loudly heard and blatantly displayed across the political landscape and, more to my purposes, the internet.
    I learned much while examining the pro-life side of the debate. For one thing, I learned that there is no debate. Life begins at conception. I also learned that since there was no debate, that extreme measures were often warranted and encouraged. There was frequent license for harassment and violence, including fake "wanted" posters, complete with a "Dead or Alive" subtitle. However, it should be noted that the main weapon used by the pro-lifers is legislative. Their target is almost universally an organization called Planned Parenthood. To hear the Pro-life lobby tell it, Planned Parenthood facilities are abortion mills. They depict dingy, unclean, unsafe and soulless abortion factories staffed by people who delight in the premature death of tiny babies.
    I decide to visit one.
    On what I believed to be a nearly perfect fall day, I sat down with Sarah Gillooly, the Kansas Public Affairs Manager for Planned Parenthood at their clinic near my house. I can assure you that what I witnessed there flies in the face of the concerns of the pro-life lobby. I can't help but note that to enter the clinic I walked past a parked patrol car and had to enter through a secure door. The pro-lifers would be proud that their campaign of intimidation has resulted in heightened security. I met with an intelligent, polite and compassionate woman who expressed passion for the organization that she defends.
    My first question may not surprise you, and I am certain did not surprise Ms. Gillooly. Why Planned Parenthood? Her answer: Planned Parenthood is one of the most visible providers of reproductive care in the nation. Now, this gave me pause. She didn't use the word "abortion'. This caught me somewhat off guard. Her focus was on women's health. Her emphasis when it came to Planned Parenthood was on the "parenthood".
    In the time she shared with me and in my research since then I learned some things worth thinking about that I would like to share with you. My view of the pro-life lobby quickly evolved into the anti-choice lobby. I hope your view changes as well.
    Even though Kansas is third from last in the nation for infant mortality among minorities, no bills were introduced in the 2011 legislative session to address this. Twelve bills were introduced to restrict reproductive services in the state. Planned Parenthood provides prenatal care for low income women. If the anti-choice lobby wins out, these women will have to rely on county health services at a greater cost to the taxpayer and at much reduced efficiency. Planned Parenthood supports sex-ed programs and awareness of birth control measures that reduce unwanted pregnancies and the transmission of STDs.
    The anti-choice lobby isn't just targeting Planned Parenthood because some of their clinics do provide abortion services in a safe manner. As Texas Representative Wayne Christian said in a recent interview, "Of course this is a war on birth control and abortion and everything." The anti-choice fanatics simply don't want you to have a choice. This isn't about life, or reducing cost, or protecting women. If it were, Planned Parenthood would be their strongest ally because that organization does care about life, reducing costs and womens' health.
    The sad truth is that the allies of the anti-choice single-issue voters are the same people who won't reconsider the death penalty, won't end expensive and dangerous wars, won't protect not-for-profit healthcare, won't defend social security and turn a blind eye to the factors that regrettably force a woman to make the choice that they want to take away.
    I am not impressed by your bumper sticker.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this thoughtful essay; I will be sharing this one!

    ReplyDelete