Thursday, November 17, 2011

Is Peace Possible?

    I want peace. Peace of mind, non-violent peace, social justice peace, world peace. I know that I won't ever witness a day of universal peace among my seven billion neighbors. The fact of this is bothersome to me, to say the least. The nagging question is..why won't we all be at peace?
    Our motivations and selfish nature are to blame. Sadly, I don't believe these are things we are capable of moving beyond as a species. We argue anonymously on Twitter or Facebook without fear of retribution for the vile things we say. I am not innocent of this. Theft often results in violence or the threat of it and leaves the victim quite without a sense of peace. Mugging is theft small-scale and war is theft large-scale. I know man will take issue with that over-simplification but before you do, find me a war that wasn't one country trying to take from another country.
     Some issues seem to build violence upon violence. I've noted in a previous blog how the pro-life movement is decidedly anti-life when it comes to doctors who perform abortions. You can think of many examples where violence, or the threat of violence, is used as a form of coercan. All terrorism is based on this idea. Fear is a weapon.
     All that being said, I think it is useful to focus on one issue that is worth objective study and discussion. In the Middle East a conflict of literally apocalyptic proportions is just waiting to happen. But does it have to? Why is peace in and around Israel so difficult to achieve? Radical self interest is so rampant that the inevitable loss for everybody will be seen as a win by some. Both sides claim a divine right from God to the land. This mandate apparently is the excuse for all manner of segregation, violence, hate and distrust on both sides.
     Even if I were to grant a directive from God for a people to live in a land, why does that mandate seem to dictate the extermination of those who already live there? For one thing, you might think god would choose an unoccupied area for his people. For another, the God of a religion of peace would seem to value coexistence over genocide. I mean, would seem to do so if one hasn't read nearly any holy text.
    I don't grant that either side has a mandate from their spiritual Father, however. As a secular humanist I desire equality and peace, even with those I disagree with. On many levels I am willing to have a disagreement and leave it at that. My sense of peace is not disturbed by that. That being said, I am part of the problem. I want people to see my way of thinking, passionately. I would not hesitate to use violent means to protect myself or an innocent. And I'm more than willing to beat a member of the WBC to death with a rubber hose.
    I'm caught in a trap of my own making. This is an issue that makes for a poor, rambling blog post. I need to dissect it further.

1 comment:

  1. good questions, and an interesting read. not the incoherent babbling you said it would be. i really enjoy reading what you have to say. :)

    ReplyDelete